Thursday, September 1, 2011

Feast days in Hurghada

Actually, feasts are something enjoyable. And in fact, I am truly happy for those who have something to celebrate.

However, when there are more important feast days in Egypt, as it is the case at present after Ramadan, I do prepare myself for inconveniences. Why? Hurghada is being flooded by “better-off” Egyptians from Cairo and Alexandria and I don’t know from where else, that are able to afford a couple of holidays in Hurghada. This year’s Eid Al-Fitr looks like this from my personal experience:

Riding peacefully my bicycle in the early morning hours, a car is suddenly at the same level and driving the same pace. First, I do not react but then, I turn my head and click! a picture is taken from me by some shortly the puberty escaped Egyptians. The car is full of this kind of guys. After having successfully taken a picture, they accelerate. Have I meanwhile become a point of interest?

Normally, I wisely avoid going downtown on one of those holidays, but that’s not always possible. So I am waiting at about noon at the roadside for a microbus. One of those posh cars (preferably a Mercedes Benz or BMW) is slowly driving up and stops in front of me. The occupants (see above) glare at me as if they had never seen a decently dressed European female.

In the evening, I am waiting at the roadside for a microbus. It’s been dark since 7pm. Slowly, a car is approaching with full beam and flashing like a taxi driver; full beam so that I can’t see anything. The occupants (this time older and fat) examine me and then accelerate. Am I a prostitute? When finally a microbus is arriving, I greet the driver in relief with an “Alhamdulillah” (Thanks God) through the window.

My mobile phone is ringing and I answer the call in hope for a new student. A man is introducing himself in half Arabic, half English with his name as a doctor in his sixties. I do not understand him completely and ask if he wants to learn English. No, he says, not really. He wants to marry me!

Dear Egyptians: not all European female are buyable and not every one of them unconditionally wish to have one of you. When do you get this?

Fortunately, in Egypt as well, feast days find their end. What remains is the question whether I prefer the short time harassment of the rich or the on-going daily harassment of the workers and peasants ;-) …

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I very much appreciate your active participation. Freedom of opinion is guaranteed. However, I reserve myself the right to delete impertinent and insulting comments.